This petition congratulates Fr. Stephen Sundborg, SJ, who removed references to Planned Parenthood from Seattle University's online health resources.
Fr. Sundborg's decision is being attacked by some and seriously questioned by others.
But, like a good father, we believe that Fr. Sundborg has acted out of justifiable concern for the students of his university, seeking to protect both their health and their morals.
As most people know, Planned Parenthood kills more unborn babies by abortion than any other organization in the United States - more than 330,000 per year (latest stats, 2017).
So, by giving Planned Parenthood space on the university's online health resource, Seattle University would be tacitly endorsing the abortion behemoth, to students looking for genuine medical care.
But, thankfully, Planned Parenthood is not the only - nor, best - provider of genuine comprehensive health care...not even close!
And, it's not only we who are saying this, but the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
Indeed, the USCCB has produced an excellent, updated (2019) fact-sheet on Planned Parenthood.
The headings of the bishops' fact-sheet, which are reproduced below, explain exactly why Planned Parenthood must be opposed by all Catholics and people of good will, and also present better alternatives for health care needs:
- 1. PPFA is the largest abortion provider in the U.S.
- 2. Every Planned Parenthood affiliate must perform abortions.
- 3. Planned Parenthood provides 28 times more abortions than birth-oriented services.
- 4. Planned Parenthood promotes risky RU-486 abortions that have killed young women.
- 5. Planned Parenthood fights even modest laws to reduce or regulate abortions.
- 6. Planned Parenthood doesn't believe in a “right to choose” against abortion.
- 7. Planned Parenthood is not “pro-choice” for women.
- 8. Planned Parenthood’s role in serving women’s health is compromised at best, and is better taken
- over by others.
- 9. “Nonprofit” Planned Parenthood reaps enormous revenues, including tax revenues.
- 10. Even as Planned Parenthood’s government funding has increased, the number of medical
- services it provides has decreased—but not abortions.
- 11. Planned Parenthood promotes risky “emergency contraception” to minors.
- 12. Planned Parenthood has promoted abortions worldwide, even where it is illegal.
In relation to availing of better alternatives for comprehensive health care needs, Number 8 on the list should be quoted from: Women’s comprehensive health needs are much better served by community health centers and other federally qualified health centers, which serve over 24 million patients in both urban and rural areas and outnumber Planned Parenthood clinics 15 to 1 (9,754 to “more than 600”).
In light of these facts, Fr. Sundborg should be commended for his actions, not condemned.
Allowing Planned Parenthood to remain on Seattle University's online health resources would have had the dual effect of discouraging students from looking for better health care alternatives AND putting money in the coffers of the country's largest abortion provider.
Seattle University students deserve better than Planned Parenthood, and so do unborn babies.
Please SIGN this petition, thanking Fr. Sundborg.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
USCCB Fact-sheet on Planned Parenthood (2019): http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/abortion/upload/PPFA-fact-sheet-2019-clean-Setting-the-Record-Straight.pdf