A group of prominent Catholic scholars are pledging to uphold the perennial teachings of the Church in the face of ambiguous and sometimes contrary teachings put forth by Pope Francis.
More than 30 pro-life and pro-family leaders have added their names to a document titled Pledge of Fidelity: Faithful to True Doctrine, Not to Erring Pastors on www.fidelitypledge.com.
The pledge declares that if there is "any conflict between the words and acts of any member of the hierarchy, even the pope" the signatories will remain faithful to the unchanging moral teachings of the Church.
Some of the fundamental principles the pledge promises to uphold include:
- Marriage as the exclusive and indissoluble union of one man and one woman
- Adultery is a grave sin, and those in adultery cannot receive the sacraments until they repent and amend their lives
- Homosexual acts are intrinsically evil and no form of union between two persons of the same sex can be approved in any way
- The direct killing of an innocent human being is always gravely immoral
- The separation of the procreative and unitive ends of the sexual act by contraceptive methods is intrinsically evil
The fidelity pledge also observes that "disorder within the Church is increasing," and that confusion is resulting from "the propagation of heresies effected by the apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia and by other words, deeds and omissions” of Pope Francis.
The signors of the document declare that they pledge "full obedience to the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in the legitimate exercise of its authority. However, nothing will ever persuade us, or compel us, to abandon or contradict any article of the Catholic faith or any truth definitively established."
Show that you will never abandon Catholic teaching. Sign this petition of support.